The Spex KIDZ High Contour Cushion provides paediatric wheelchair seating with optimal pelvic positioning by levelling the pelvis correctly. Correct positioning can be achieved on the spot by strategic placement in the adjustable cell base system and pressure can be redistributed at any time by simply rearranging the cells. Gel-foam ischial evenly distributes pressure under the pelvis and reduces shear forces in sensitive areas. This cushion is ideal for children who have changing postural needs over time and have a symmetrical or asymmetrical posture that needs correction or control.
Designed for the user who has moderate to severe positioning and pressure requirements. Excellent choice for individuals who:
- Need high control of abduction/adduction propensities.
- Have changing postural needs over time.
- Have a symmetrical or asymmetrical sitting posture that requires correction or control.
- Require pelvic comfort and pressure relief/distribution.
- Require a high degree of pelvic stability and specific contouring.
- Have tight hamstrings/lack of hip flexion.
- No maintenance required. A reliable, peace-of-mind solution!
- Created as the solution-solver for asymmetrical postures.
- Strategic contouring pads offer complete customisations on-the-spot for a perfect fit for the client.
- Removable trochanter supports for pelvic obliquity or reduction, or build-up for hip flexion.
- Gel-foam ischial well evenly distributes pressure under the pelvis and reduces shear forces in sensitive areas.
- Coccyx channel for enhanced pressure relief (for sizes 16” +)
- Includes breathable ‘spacer’ fabric cover and bonus inner incontinence cover.
Strategic Positioning Base
With the proven in-built adjustable base system, the Spex cushion can be configured to solve many different pelvis needs ranging from basic cushion stability up to difficult pelvic situations.
Modifications by strategic placement in the adjustable base cell system further contour the cushion for correction, control, balance, stability, pressure redistribution and many other needs.
With adjustment being done at the base of the cushion, the upper foam layers are unaffected and don’t cause bottoming-out or further pressure risks.
Configurations can be easily made so pressure is redistributed from the ischial tuberosities and coccyx onto the trochanters and femurs for enhanced load bearing and stability.
With treating each leg independently via the cells it is easy to obtain optimum positioning and levelling the pelvis correctly and effectively, and this process can be carried out without limit by simply rearranging and modifying the cells at any time for changing postural needs.
Obliquity adjustment is simple and can be built up with the 10mm pads to create the correct height required.
The Spex cushion can be adapted on-the-spot to suit individual pelvic needs including:
- Pelvic obliquity
- Tight hamstrings
- Posterior pelvic tilt
- Anterior pelvic tilt
- Limited hip flexion (one side or both)
- Extensor thrust
- Pelvic rotation
- And much more!
Below are some common adjustments to the strategic base:
Pressure Rating & Characteristics
Our Spex cushions have been laboratory tested in USA for pressure characteristics. Please note that this was tested using a standard Spex cushion without any contouring done to the positioning base.
Data demonstrated that pressure readings across all five zones (L/R Trochanter, L/R Ischial Tuberosity and Sacrum) show smooth transitions without significant peaks in pressure for both test cushions. The readings indicate good pressure distribution over the entire sitting surface.